Friday, 15 March 2013

Rooney to Paris?

Paris Saint-Germain director of football Leonardo has denied that the big-spending club have made any move towards signing Wayne Rooney from Manchester United. Rooney's omission from the Manchester United starting line-up for the defeat to Real Madrid sparked widespread speculation over his immediate future.

Some reports linked the England forward with a move to the Qatari-backed Parisians, with the Times suggesting last month that a big-money offer for the 27-year-old could be tabled in the summer.
But Leonardo - who said "the door is always open" - was adamant that no discussions had taken place.

Speaking at UEFA's headquarters in Nyon after the Champions League quarter-final draw,he said: "Rooney, if he wanted to come, that's something we'd be very happy about.

"Rooney is one of the best players in the world. But we never did anything, we never talked to anybody and, if one day we decide to, the first ones to know that will be Manchester United.
"It's not the case now - there is nothing, nothing, nothing. We have not moved for any other player."

He said former Manchester United player David Beckham "is very happy in Paris", adding: "He is playing in a team that has big ambitions for the future, and he will be very important for us."

Monday, 18 October 2010

Wayne Rooney 'will not sign new Manchester United deal'

Manchester United have been informed that Wayne Rooney will not sign a new contract with the club, according to reports from the Press Association.

The 24-year-old striker's current deal runs out in the summer of 2012 and it is understood negotiations over a new contract have broken down.

There has been speculation that Rooney will be sold in the January transfer window, with Real Madrid interested.

However, United's response was to label that claim as "nonsense".

Rooney's relationship with United manager Sir Alex Ferguson has been under scrutiny in recent weeks.

The striker missed United's Premier League fixture at Everton last month after allegations about his private life and he was then left out of subsequent games by Ferguson, who claimed the England international had an ankle injury.

However, last Tuesday, after England's 0-0 draw against Montenegro in a Euro 2010 qualifier at Wembley, Rooney contradicted the Scot's statement and insisted he was fit and had not had any ankle problem.

On Saturday, Rooney, who has scored only one goal in five Premier League appearances for United this season, was left out of the starting line-up for the 2-2 draw with West Brom.

Tuesday, 28 September 2010

Man Utd's Wayne Rooney to miss three weeks with injury

Manchester United striker Wayne Rooney will be out of action for up to three weeks because of an ankle injury.

The 24-year-old has endured a poor start to the season and was substituted in the second half of Sunday's 2-2 draw with Bolton after getting injured.

As well as not making United's trip to Valencia, Rooney will miss Saturday's league game at Sunderland and England's Euro 2012 qualifier against Montenegro.

Midfielder Paul Scholes is unavailable for 10 days with a calf problem.

United boss Sir Alex Ferguson revealed the latest prognosis on Rooney ahead of their Champions League Group C match against a Valencia side currently top of La Liga.

The striker's absence against Montenegro on 12 October will be a blow to England boss Fabio Capello, considering the injuries to Frank Lampard, Theo Walcott, Jermain Defoe and Bobby Zamora.

However, it is further bad news for Rooney whose private life has come under close scrutiny in recent weeks and whose form has wobbled in the opening period of the Premier league campaign.

The former Everton forward has only scored once this season - from the penalty spot - compared with three in a week for Michael Owen and seven so far this season for top scorer Bulgarian Dimitar Berbatov.

Ferguson even admitted last week that the player was feeling the strain of being in the media spotlight after allegations about his private life.

Former England boss Kevin Keegan, working as a TV pundit for Sunday's match at the Reebok, said after the draw: "His performance at Bolton tells me his confidence is shot."

Rooney will join United team-mate Ryan Giggs on the sidelines with the Welshman ruled out for a fortnight after injuring a hamstring at the weekend.

The Old Trafford club opened their European campaign with a disappointing 0-0 draw against Rangers and on Wednesday face the Spanish club who began their Champions League quest with a 4-0 defeat of Turkish team Bursaspor.

From BBC Website

Monday, 27 September 2010

Manchester United held by Bolton

2-2 with Bolton 26th September

Manchester United failed to capitalise on a defeat for Premier League leaders Chelsea as a Michael Owen goal rescued a draw for them at resolute Bolton.
The home side went ahead when defender Zat Knight flicked in a corner only for Nani to end a powerful run with an angled strike to equalise.

Martin Petrov restored Bolton's lead when he cut inside and had a shot deflected in off Darren Fletcher. Substitute Owen then glanced in a Nani free-kick to earn a point for United.

The draw will have annoyed United boss Sir Alex Ferguson, who had emphasised his side's need to close the gap at the top of the table to a single point following Chelsea's loss at Manchester City 24 hours earlier.

And with the Red Devils having registered 10 wins from the last 11 games against Bolton, the visitors might have been confident of victory.
However, as with so many of the underdogs over the weekend, Bolton upset their more illustrious opponents, while the defensive frailties which have undermined United's season so far were again exposed.

The visitors went behind early on when Knight beat United centre-back Jonny Evans to a corner and glanced in a shot. Bolton's work ethic in closing down and pressing United unsettled their north west opponents but the visitors still carried a threat on goal.
An unmarked Ryan Giggs shot straight at Bolton keeper Jussi Jaaskelainen, who also dived low to his right to keep out a Fletcher strike. Bolton boss Owen Coyle is working on trying to create more of a passing side but the Trotters still have much of the physical presence of past years.

Powerful striker Kevin Davies is central to a more direct style and he produced a flick-on that Johan Elmander was close to diverting past keeper Edwin Van der Sar.

Bolton centre-back Sam Ricketts produced a surging run from defence and had a 22-yard shot saved before United winger Nani produced a similar solo burst on the home goal but, in contrast, finished with an angled shot from 18 yards.
The alert Knight had to clear a Nani cross with Wayne Rooney set for a tap in as the visitors slowly turned up the pressure on the Bolton defence.

Rooney, who was booed by the home fans on his first away appearance since allegations about his private life emerged, fizzed a 22-yard shot over as he tried to add to his one goal for United so far this season. Ferguson has been concerned at the impact of the media spotlight on a striker who cut a forlorn figure for the most part and his involvement ended on 61 minutes as he was replaced by Federico Macheda.

Macheda instantly played a one-two with the in-form Berbatov, who had a stinging shot blocked away by Jaaskelainen.

United's desire to get forward left them susceptible to the counter-attack and Bolton showed the ability to capitalise.
Petrov cut inside Park Ji-Sung and drove in a shot which was deflected past Van der Sar by Fletcher.

United centre-back Rio Ferdinand was not included in the visitor's squad for the match and watched from the stands as events almost got even better for Bolton.
The hard-working Elmander cleverly flicked the ball past Nemanja Vidic only to blaze a shot horribly over.

The miss was quickly punished as Owen glanced in a Nani free-kick as an absorbing game finished with the spoils shared and United still searching for their first away win in the league this season.

By Mandeep Sanghera – BBC Online

Kevin Keegan criticises Manchester United's Rooney lifestyle choicw

Former England manager Kevin Keegan says Wayne Rooney cannot blame press intrusion for his recent run of poor performances for Manchester United.

The 24-year-old, who has been at the centre of allegations about his private life, has scored one goal in six games for United so far this season.

And Keegan believes Rooney's lifestyle choices have not helped the striker.
"You can't then turn around and say there's too much paparazzi around or too much publicity," Keegan told ESPN.
"You can't have all the contracts, sell your wedding to magazines and things like this, and suddenly say, 'That's the tap I want to turn on but we want to turn the other one off'.

"It's just one tap and I know from when I played that if you are advertising boots and all these things, you have to go and make appearances. You are going to appear in the paper.
"But the one thing I would say is keep your home and your family out of it and just take your endorsements if that's what you want to do.
"One minute you are courting it, the next minute you're saying 'I don't want this'."
United manager Sir Alex Ferguson said Rooney has been feeling the strain of the media's scrutiny and was again lacklustre in their 2-2 draw with Bolton at the Reebok Stadium on Sunday.

Rooney was replaced by Federico Macheda in the 61st minute, although the former Everton striker had an ice pack applied to his ankle soon after his substitution.
But assistant manager Mike Phelan said the striker should be fit for United's Champions League match against Valencia on Wednesday.

But Keegan disagreed with Ferguson's assertion that Rooney has not lost his confidence.

"His performance at Bolton tells me his confidence is shot," added Keegan.
"Last year, you'd fancy him to put some of these chances into the net. For United to get back to where they should be - and winning at places like Bolton - they need to be getting Wayne Rooney firing on all cylinders."

Monday, 20 September 2010

Berbatov steals Rooney Glory

Manchester United manager Sir Alex Ferguson claimed anything but a win would have been a travesty after seeing his side beat Liverpool 3-2.

Dimitar Berbatov completed a hat-trick six minutes from time to deny Liverpool after a Steven Gerrard double had hauled the visitors back from 2-0 down.

"From thinking to myself 'it's going to be 10', we ended up level at 2-2," said Ferguson after the Old Trafford clash.

"It was a travesty of a scoreline then but a great result at the end."

Liverpool levelled within 11 minutes of falling two goals behind but Ferguson felt the visitors were lucky to get a foothold back in the game.

"Liverpool didn't offer anything and depended on decisions from the linesman to get back in the game," he added.

"Edwin van der Sar had no saves to make, Paul Scholes controlled the midfield and we looked dangerous up front, with Dimitar and Nani - I couldn't see us losing the game."

Often derided as lacking passion - an Eric Cantona-lite - Berbatov has cast off the shackles to become the player Ferguson thought he was paying £30m for when he arrived from Tottenham.

And while Ferguson was fulsome in his praise of Berbatov, who became the first player to score a hat-trick for United against Liverpool in 64 years, he did concede that United had their own moment of good fortune when the Bulgarian scored with an overhead kick via the underside of the bar to make it 2-0.

"It was unexpected, a surprise attempt. Not many of those go in the net but fortunately it did this time," stated Ferguson.

"There was a lot of criticism of Berbatov last season from the media - it happens when we buy someone for a lot of money, that's the way of the world.

"But this season he has started off in the right fashion. He was good in pre-season and on tour and has carried it on. There has never been any doubt about the quality of the man."

Berbatov, who has now scored seven goals this season, enthused: "It was probably my best day in a United shirt.

"I am happy. I am going home with a smile on my face but I am nothing special. I am going home to play with my kids."

Monday, 6 September 2010

Rooney Plays Against Switzerland

Striker Wayne Rooney has arrived in Switzerland with the England squad for their Euro 2012 qualifier amid allegations about his private life.
Rooney has made the trip with the rest of the squad for Tuesday's Group C tie.
However, England coach Fabio Capello will have to decide if Rooney is in the right frame of mind to play.

The News of the World and the Sunday Mirror alleged Rooney had slept with a prostitute while his wife Coleen was pregnant with their son. The story dominates Monday's newspapers as well.


About Me

I am a UK based internet marketeer. I make extra income on line using niche websites to promote Affiliate Products