Thursday 10 June 2010

Wayne Rooney Goal

Rooney goal is welcome but all the focus is on him keeping his temper.

Rio Ferdinand has backed England star Wayne Rooney to control his temper during the World Cup in South Africa.

Rooney was booked in Monday's warm-up win over Platinum Stars and accused of using "vulgar language" by the referee.Official Jeff Selogilwe also warned Rooney he risks being sent off at the World Cup unless he curbs his temper. 

But Ferdinand told BBC Sport: "Wayne's experienced now. His disciplinary record has been magnificent over the last couple of years." 

Rooney, 24, was sent off at the last World Cup in 2006, dismissed for stamping on Portugal's Ricardo Carvalho in their quarter-final tie.
And signs of the disciplinary problems that threatened to hamper the Manchester United player's early career reared themselves again in the 3-0 victory over South African club side Platinum Stars.Ahead of the match, England vice-captain Frank Lampard had warned his team-mates that discipline on the field will be a key factor if they are to be successful in the tournament. 

But Rooney appeared to become embroiled in a second-half spat with Platinum Stars' Kagiso Senamela before being booked for dissent. 

Rooney, 24, apologised to the referee after the game but decided against giving him his shirt, as had apparently been agreed beforehand.
"I think the man was in an angry mood, because he didn't even give me his shirt, but I cannot blame him because he's still my player," Selogilwe told BBC World Service. "He's still my favourite player, although I'm a referee there are players that I'm in favour of like Wayne Rooney and other England players as well.
"I was very much disappointed. I didn't expect a top top top player like Rooney to insult the referee.
"If it happens in that way, you are not going to see Rooney in the World Cup."He is a good player when you see him on the TV, but when you see him on the pitch, he just keeps on insulting the referees. 

"To me, it looks like Rooney insults people and fouls other players. If he insults a referee like me then he will use that vulgar language to other referees as well. I was very disappointed in Rooney because he is my favourite player." 

However, Ferdinand, who will miss the finals after injuring a knee in training, added: "Being here [in South Africa] is magnifying things before the World Cup.
"It was a practice match not an official match. I don't see Wazza [Rooney] having a disciplinary problem at the World Cup at all. 

"Since the incident in Germany, he's done so well to get to where he is now."


Rooney satisfied with England performance. His
team-mates also rallied around him after their final warm-up game.
Rooney made a goal for Joe Cole and scored himself late on after Jermain Defoe had given Fabio Capello's side an early lead against the local side.Tottenham striker Defoe, who scored the opener on Monday, said he did not see Rooney's temperament as an issue.
"If under control, I think Wayne's temper is a good thing," he commented. "He has that fire in his belly. If you take that away from him then he won't be the same player."

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers

About Me

I am a UK based internet marketeer. I make extra income on line using niche websites to promote Affiliate Products http://www.moneymakingblog.co.uk